As we move towards a more technology-driven era, it's no surprise that AI is becoming increasingly prevalent in various cases. The potential of using AI in businesses is rising, and one domain where it can be a game-changer is brainstorming. Artificial intelligence can offer unique perspectives and generate fresh ideas that can ultimately benefit your business and teams' creativity.
In this blog post, we'll dive deep into the potential of artificial intelligence to enhance your brainstorming sessions and examine its current limitations. So, let's explore how AI can elevate your idea generation to new heights!
Overview of AI in Brainstorming
Artificial intelligence has made significant advancements in recent years. One big trend in AI use cases is creativity. AI algorithms can analyze massive amounts of data from countless sources to generate insights and patterns that may not be initially apparent to humans.
It can go through the whole internet to produce answers unlike a human could possibly do. When applied to brainstorming, AI can analyze all the available data within a blink of an eye, and generate a large number of ideas quickly, boosting human creativity and improving brainstorming outcomes.
Sounds amazing, right? However, it has its limitations. We tested brainstorming with ChatGPT to identify the quality of its generated solutions. We found a few critical factors to consider when brainstorming with AI.
First, it is noteworthy to look into the mechanisms of AI. AI language models such as ChatGPT anticipate the most likely set of words that answers a query instead of answering the question itself. Many of the greatest innovations stem from rearranging pre-existing ideas and concepts. AI operates on this same principle, making it an excellent tool for generating new and innovative ideas. However, if you're using ChatGPT for brainstorming, keep in mind that its training was completed in 2021. Therefore it's unable to access any data more recent than that.
AI is also unable to comprehend the expertise needed to tackle a concern and fails to recognize how much impact it could have on businesses. However, it can still give imaginative views your team wouldn't have considered otherwise.
One thing you should keep in mind is that if you tell AI to generate ideas, it will most likely give you the most popular and common answers. In my experiment with ChatGPT, it generated ideas primarily based on the most popular Google search results. This isn't necessarily a bad thing as it allows you to quickly access the most common ideas. That way, you don't miss out on valuable perspectives, and you'll use no time in recognizing which viewpoints are widely-held. But to avoid this potential issue of unimaginative ideas, adding a word unique / original / unusual /etc. to your prompt changed the solutions in most cases.
Benefits of Using Brainstorming with AI
As technology continues to advance, the ways in which we brainstorm and approach problem-solving are evolving. When you understand the limits and the working logic, the integration of AI into brainstorming can be a game changer. AI has the ability to analyze vast amounts of data, generate innovative ideas, and accelerate idea generation. By utilizing AI in brainstorming sessions, individuals and teams can save valuable time and resources, while also producing a wider range of ideas and solutions than they may have been capable of without it. Here are some benefits of brainstorming with AI:
- Enhanced creativity: AI can generate a wide range of ideas by analyzing large datasets and identifying patterns that humans may not have thought of otherwise.
- Increased productivity: AI can streamline the brainstorming process by creating numerous ideas in no time. This can save time and effort, allowing teams to focus on refining and developing the most promising ones. According to a study by Wieland B, et al. (2022) brainstorming with a chatbot created more ideas on average as well as more diverse ones.
- Diverse perspectives: AI can offer various perspectives with unlimited access to all the data. This can help teams gain fresh insights and consider alternative viewpoints. It ensures that your ideas won't be steered in a specific direction.
- Evidence-based results: AI has the ability to analyze data from multiple sources such as research papers, articles, and databases. By doing so, it can offer valuable insights and lead to more informed ideas. However, you should always be cautious about ideas that AI comes up with, as they are not always fact-based.
- Reduced pressure: AI can take social pressure away by throwing crazy ideas. This removes the burden of striving for perfection, fostering an environment for innovative thinking. According to a study by Hwang & Hsing-Chi (2021), participants contributed more and higher quality ideas when they perceived their brainstorming partner as a bot.
- Cost-effective: AI can be a cost-effective alternative to hiring external consultants or experts for brainstorming sessions. However, it may not offer the same level of specific expertise as a human consultant.
- More democratic ideation: In traditional brainstorming, the loudest ones may steer the ideation in a certain path. AI can eliminate this bias, resulting in a more democratic platform for coming up with new ideas.
- Stimulus for creativity: Using AI is a creativity-boosting way to start your brainstorming sessions. Even crazy and bad ideas can act as great ice-breakers!
How to brainstorm with AI - using AI in different steps of brainstorming
AI-powered platforms and tools can assist in generating, evaluating, and refining ideas. Ultimately, AI can enhance the effectiveness of brainstorming sessions, allowing for more innovative and productive results.
Many rules of a successful brainstorming session remain the same even when AI is involved. Start with a clear goal in mind. It's important to plan your goal, remember the limitations of AI, and plan your prompts accordingly. You should have a well-defined question or problem that you want the brainstorming session to explore so that AI can work within these boundaries. This will help ensure that the ideas generated are focused and relevant to the topic at hand.
Next, choose an AI-powered brainstorming tool that best suits your needs. There are a number of different options out there and it’s important to pick one that works for you and your team. Once you have chosen a tool, put together a plan for how you will use it in the brainstorming session.
Once your AI-powered tool is set up and ready to go, it’s time for the brainstorming session! Start by writing down some context. In our experience, the context really matters. The better you define your problem, your goal, and the context, the more suitable solutions it creates.
Then write a clear prompt for the problem and let the AI ideate. As in any brainstorming, it's part of the process that all the ideas might not be great. Utilize the bad ones as seeds to enhance your own creativity. I would advise using AI at least at the beginning of brainstorming to get the most common ideas out there and help people to get started. It might also give you great ideas that you can start developing further.
You can also use AI in the next steps of your brainstorm. AI can assist in developing ideas further by providing additional information and insights that can help participants to refine and expand their ideas. For example, AI can help to identify potential gaps and areas of improvement in existing ideas and suggest ways to fill those gaps.
When you move into the decision-making and have a few potential ideas you would like to take another look into, you can ask the AI to list potential risks of it and ways to prevent the issue. You could also ask it to compare the ideas, describe the pros and cons, or generate examples of use cases.
And when you have made your decisions on the ones you implement, you can go further and ask the AI to create a list of actions and prioritize the tasks. Still, be sure to have a human involved in the process as well in order to evaluate the ideas generated by the AI. This will help ensure accuracy.
Prompts for Brainstorming with AI
The prompts you are using will affect the results you get. So think about if you want to get popular or unique ideas, and whether you want the solutions to be specific for a particular issue or broad ones. Also, consider the context in which you are brainstorming. Are you looking for creative solutions or technical ones? By considering these questions, you can create prompts that will ensure the ai-generated ideas match your desired outcome. Here are some general tips on creating prompts for brainstorming:
- Be specific: Provide clear and specific prompts to the AI to ensure it understands the purpose of the brainstorming session.
- Keep it simple: For better results, keep prompts simple and concise. Clear and straightforward prompts help AI understand and respond more precisely.
- Provide context: The better you describe your situation, the better AI can refine suggestions to your needs.
- Test and refine: Test different prompts and see which ones generate the best results for your case. Refine the prompts based on the AI's responses and continue to iterate until you have a set of prompts that consistently generate high-quality ideas.
Prompts for idea generation:
For idea generation with AI, first think about your goal and what you are trying to brainstorm. Is it general ideas, innovative solutions to a problem, or different use cases for your product? According to your goal, create your prompt. Add details and information about the situation and problem you're trying to solve to get the most accurate answers. Here are some examples of the prompts:
- What are some innovative solutions for [insert problem]?
- I'm trying to think of new ways to [achieve goal]. Can you give me some fresh ideas?
- I'm looking to [improve/innovate/expand] my business. Can you help me brainstorm some strategies?
- I'm trying to plan a [event/occasion] and I need some ideas to make it memorable. Can you help me brainstorm?
- Can you suggest some ways to improve [insert process]?
- What are some methods to optimize [insert workflow]?
- Can you suggest some solutions to [insert challenge]?
- What are some potential use cases for [insert technology]?
Prompts for idea development & evaluation:
Once you have generated the ideas with AI, you may want to further explore or evaluate them. Depending on what you are looking for, some prompts that can help you develop and evaluate the ideas are as follows:
- What are some advantages and disadvantages of [insert idea]?
- Can you provide a list of pros and cons for [insert proposal]?
- Can you identify some emerging trends in [insert field]?
- What are some changes happening in [insert sector]?
Prompts for decision-making and implementation:
Once you have evaluated the ideas, you may want to make decisions and implement them. Here are some prompts that can help you decide which solutions are best suited for your purpose and get started with implementation:
- I am working on [add your topic]. What criteria should be used to select the right solution?
- What expertise or skills would be needed to execute [idea] successfully?
- We have decided to [add an action]. How can we break down the implementation process into manageable steps, and what should our priorities be?
- What milestones or checkpoints should we set to track the progress of implementing [solution] and ensure that we stay on track?
Tips and Tricks for Utilizing AI in Brainstorming
Now that you’ve seen how AI can benefit the brainstorming process, here are finally some tips and tricks on how best to utilize it. Here are a few key things to keep in mind when incorporating AI into your brainstorming sessions:
- Generate ideas first with AI and then refine them with human creativity.
- Remember how AI works and acknowledge its limitations.
- Consider the context and prompts you’re giving the AI to get accurate solutions to your problem.
- Use AI to generate ideas, then have humans evaluate them. Be mindful of potential bias when using AI.
- Take advantage of the AI’s ability to quickly process and analyze vast amounts of data.
- Consider the risks associated with IPR when using AI-generated ideas. Since AI doesn't account for patents and trademarks, it's crucial to assess the ideas yourself and ensure you have the legal right to use them.
- Have fun with AI – the possibilities are endless!
Ready to start?
We are developing Orchidea's new brainstorming with AI feature that lets you easily add an AI participant to your team's session, offering fresh insights and new ideas to drive success.
Interested to try out? Join in to experience the power of AI in your team brainstorming sessions for free!
Overall, AI can be a great tool for brainstorming and decision-making. It can help you quickly generate fresh new ideas and explore potential gaps around existing ideas, as well as suggest ways to fill those gaps.
By taking advantage of AI-powered brainstorming tools available today, teams can collaborate more efficiently to create innovative solutions for complex problems. With careful use and an open mind, AI can help unlock new perspectives that could otherwise go unrealized - so don’t be afraid to give it a try!